Chaos has Consequences--Feb 2019

 

Flora

Baby Flora died yesterday in Haiti. She underwent heart surgery 10 days prior.

I had a 400-word obituary written. But I deleted it because my written words are weak compared to the stark reality of this loss.

The obituary described:

The fact that Flora’s heart was operated too late in her short 8-month life because her diagnosis came late. She lived in a place where there is no serious health care system for her kind.

The burning barricades and flying rocks in the streets of Port attempting to stop medical staff from going to work at Flora’s hospital to provide her care.

Watching Flora’s struggle to stay alive after surgery was similar to watching a slow-motion accident that one knew would happen.

My despair reading her father’s daily late-night texts updating me on how Flora was doing. His texts included the following:

“She is still in the oxygen. Sometimes her heart beats very fast. The heart beating is not stable.”

“Till now she doesn’t eat or drink.”

“The day was not good.”

“I see in the doctor’s face discouragement…like they are discouraged with Flora.”

“I feel that she is suffering.”

“When they send the ambulance to get the doctors at home to bring them to work, they throw stones at the ambulance and slow the doctor’s arrival.”

“Dr. John, I am about to lose faith.”

“I want to ask you a question. Can I? What is the last thing we can do to save my baby, Flora?”

“Her mother and I are completely discouraged today because the doctors were saying that the situation is complex and more serious than the previous days.”

And then yesterday father’s last text to me that simply said “I am sorry” below the picture he took of his lifeless baby daughter.

You are sorry, father?

We, the gran manje (big eaters) of the world, should be VERY sorry because Flora should not be gone. We KNOW that dysfunction in society starting at the top causes sickness and unnecessary deaths downstream.

Chaos has consequences. Flora just happens to be the most recent victim.

Flora

 

John A. Carroll, MD

www.haitianhearts.org

13 thoughts on “Chaos has Consequences”

  1. AvatarBarbara Willour

  2. says:

  3. February 22, 2019 at 12:42 pm Edit
    I weep for Flora and the suffering that occurs in Haiti. Senseless.
    Barbara Willour
    Reply

  4. John Carroll, MDJohn Carroll, MD

  5. says:

  6. February 22, 2019 at 2:28 pm Edit
    Flora’s father responded with this comment–
    Merci pour l’article dont tu as été partagé dans la situation dans laquelle que ma fille Flora à été victime mortellement !et franchement je n’ai pas le goût de rester vivre dans ce pays si difficile et atroce.
    (Thank you for the article you shared in the situation in which my daughter Flora was a mortal victim! And frankly, I do not have the desire to stay in this country so difficult and atrocious.)
    Reply

    1. AvatarMarlene Papich Terrell

    2. says:

    3. February 23, 2019 at 12:35 am Edit
      I too have lost a child to negligence….my youngest…
      Forgiveness …
      Bore a ministry to others suffering the loss of a child
      Reply

  7. AvatarBrid Harris

  8. says:

  9. February 22, 2019 at 2:34 pm Edit
    Sorry John, for Flora and her family and for you who cares so much.
    Reply

  10. AvatarLisa Sonney

  11. says:

  12. February 22, 2019 at 4:28 pm Edit
    My heart is breaking as I read of the death of precious baby Flora. I am praying for peace for her family as well as for you John.♥️
    Reply

  13. AvatarTammy in MN

  14. says:

  15. February 22, 2019 at 5:10 pm Edit
    Tell Flora’s father and mother we pray for them. I’ve been to Haiti a half dozen times. Just enough to understand “it’s complicated”. Thank you for sticking with the people that need your skills and advocating for them.
    Reply

  16. AvatarNicole Benoit

  17. says:

  18. February 22, 2019 at 6:51 pm Edit
    So very sad for your lost Flora’s family. My toughts and prayers are with you. Courage.
    Nicole Benoit
    Reply

  19. AvatarCryssy

  20. says:

  21. February 22, 2019 at 7:32 pm Edit
    Dr John. We have failed Flora, an innocent child. My heart breaks for her family and all who cared for her. God bless you for caring. RIP beautiful child. You are free of the greed in this world.
    Reply

  22. AvatarMarlene Papich Terrell

  23. says:

  24. February 23, 2019 at 12:14 am Edit
    Dr John…
    You speak as if … YOU …
    are the father of this child.
    YOU…enter into their lives
    Their struggles
    Their families
    Their suffering
    Their healing
    And..their
    Hearts
    THANK GOD FOR YOU AND THE MINISTRY HE HAS GIVEN YOU.
    THANK YOU…
    For saying YES!
    Love and respect you,
    Marlene Terrell
    Angel Lady
    Reply

  25. AvatarRosemarie Barnett

  26. says:

  27. February 23, 2019 at 12:53 am Edit
    My heartfelt sorrow for Baby Flora’s parent. My prayers to them and the team. Continue in faith, hope and charity. I boast the middle name Hope fir a reason.
    Reply

  28. AvatarChris Nungester

  29. says:

  30. February 23, 2019 at 7:57 am Edit
    Dr. John, I am so sorry for the loss of Flora! Her family loved her well and so did you! She will be so missed by her family and everyone who cared for her!!! Her short life underscores the reason that God has called you to intervene in the lives of the innocent in Haiti! She is at peace with Jesus now, but will leave a great hole in everyone’s hearts! When I look at the lives that you have helped rescue, you have made a great investment in the lives in Haiti! In my own family I look at Medjina and Ronald, Sachine, and all of the other Haitian Hearts kids lives you have touched… Don’t ever give up!!! God has called you to a very high calling which most would not accept because of the pain involved in loving those who don’t survive… iThanks for loving and caring!!!
    Reply

  31. AvatarAnonymous

  32. says:

  33. February 23, 2019 at 8:08 am Edit
    I am so sorry for Flora’s family & their loss. I am praying that God will comfort them. I am praying for the country of Haiti & it’s people. This death was so unnecessary. I wonder how the people who impeded the ambulance would feel if it was their loved one inside.
    Reply

  34. AvatarClaudia Dahlke

  35. says:

February 23, 2019 at 11:08 am Edit
We’ve been praying . I’m so sorry. My heart aches for them all. No words fit.
Reply

Comments