Annabelle Needs Heart Surgery--August 2021

Annabelle


August 26, 2021

Dear Sister,

I hope you are well. 


I recently was referred a two-year-old Haitian girl who needs heart surgery. 


Would you be willing to remove the OSF embargo on Haitian Hearts patients from coming to OSF-Children's Hospital of Illinois for heart surgery? 


Please let me know and I will send this child's clinical information to the appropriate person you refer me to at OSF-CHOI for their review.  


Thank you.


John 


----


The child is Annabelle.


Unfortunately, I did not hear back from Sister Judith Ann. And Sister had promised me 20 years ago that she would never turn down a Haitian child needing heart surgery. I guess her Corporate Board of Directors and her attorneys successfully convinced her of the need to abandon the philosophy of the OSF founding sisters.  


Annabelle remains in Haiti--still needing heart surgery. I communicated with Annabelle's mother today in Haiti and it seems Annabelle is doing ok. But mother remains very concerned because there is no definite plan for surgery. 



John A. Carroll, MD

www.haitianhearts.org



Comments